Kuopio-Shanghai cooperation network
Companies generate growth by internationalising. Kuopio already laid the groundwork for cooperation with China in the early 2000s when cooperation between Kuopio and the Shanghai Pudong New Area began. The cities signed a sister city agreement in 2012, and activities between Kuopio and Shanghai Pudong have continuously grown and deepened. On the part of the City of Kuopio, there has been a vigorous increase in activities in the teaching field, while the cultural side has also remained very active.
The primary objective of the cooperation is to support the internationalisation of Kuopio and the region, strengthen collaboration between technology parks and promote the development of business activity and collaboration between companies. For this purpose, an exceptionally close cooperation network has been formed in Kuopio. Read Kuopio-Shanghai cooperation overview 2017.
The Kuopio region’s cooperation network for its Shanghai activities is composed of the City of Kuopio, the University of Eastern Finland (UEF), the Kuopio Region Chamber of Commerce, the Savonia University of Applied Sciences and the Savo Region Federation of Municipalities for Vocational Education and Training (SAKKY). The region’s companies have access to reliable partners and contacts in Shanghai. For example, within the framework of the City of Kuopio’s agreement, Kai Zhan helps companies on the spot.
Cooperation network activities in Shanghai include:
- University cooperation: Student, teacher and staff mobility, research collaboration projects and sale of training courses. The UEF cooperates with Fudan University, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and Nanjing University.
- Wide-ranging school cooperation between the City of Kuopio and Shanghai Pudong.
- Teacher and student exchange, development projects and sale of training courses carried out by the Savonia University of Applied Sciences in cooperation with the Shanghai Second Polytechnic University (SSPU) and the Shanghai Institute of Health Sciences (SIHS).
- Cultural visits incl. photographic exhibitions held in alternate years in Kuopio and Shanghai Pudong. For example, the “Kuopio Photo Exhibition Pudong” in 2014 showed Kuopio and members of the network in pictures and videos to a large number of visitors. The Cultural Delegation from Shanghai Pudong visited Kuopio in September 2016. Ritva-Liisa Pohjalainen’s exhibition in Shanghai Pudong will be held as a part of Finland 100th anniversary.
- 12.-27.10.2017 Anniversary Kuopio Exhibition: The story of a Finnish woman and the Kuopio – Capital of Lakeland exhibition in the Pudong district of Shanghai
- 4/2019 Delegation to the sister city Shanghai Pudong by the Major of City of Kuopio
- City of Kuopio, Education: Director of General Education Leena Auvinen, leena.auvinen(at)kuopio.fi
- University of Eastern Finland, Director of International Affairs, Anitta Etula, anitta.etula(at)uef.fi
- Chamber of Commerce, tbc
- Savonia University of Applied Sciences, Manager of International Affairs Virpi Laukkanen, virpi.laukkanen(at)savonia.fi
- Savo Consortium for Education, Development Manager Markku Jokela, markku.jokela(at)sakky.fi
- City of Kuopio, Marketing Coordinator Laura Kokko, laura.kokko(at)kuopio.fi
- Twitter: #kuopioshanghai
Kai Zhan helps companies on the spot, contact:
Mobile +86 137 9522 9608
Culture Cooperation timeline