Kuopio is the Capital of Eastern Finland, and one of the most attractive city in Finland measured in terms of businesses, jobs and population growth. Kuopio has over 120,000 inhabitants, while nearly one million people live in the city’s area of influence. The City of Kuopio is the 8th largest city in Finland. There are over 7,000 companies, providing around 53,000 workplaces. More than 200 of the companies in North Savo are export companies, and about 300 import companies.
When comparing different regions, North Savo is at the top in economic growth. Total combined turnover of the companies was €7 370 million in 2020. There are living around 100 different nationalities in the area and the City of Kuopio has 15 twin cities around the world.
Kuopio region is vigorously growing, and here are some examples:
• The airport is located only 14 km from the city centre.
• Railway station is located in the city centre, the connections function between south and north and east and west
• The Finnish highway no. 5 (from Helsinki to Lapland) runs via Kuopio
• Distance to Russia border 300 km
• Distance to Stockholm 620 km
• Distance to Lapland 500 km
• Distance to Helsinki 390 km, 40-60 min by airplane